The San Tan Chapter formed in May 2008 and was formally chartered as a member of The Arizona Archaeological Society on October 4, 2008. The Arizona Archaeological Society is an independent nonprofit corporation. Members are eligible to participate in field trips, excavations, surveys, lab work, and other areas of archaeological interest. Each member also receives a copy of the annual publication of the Society, The Arizona Archaeologist, together with the monthly newsletter, The Petroglyph. The San Tan Chapter meets at 7:30 PM, the second Wednesday of each month (except June/July/Aug), at the San Tan Historical Museum located at 20425 S. Old Ellsworth Rd, Queen Creek 85142. (On the southeast corner of the intersection of Ellsworth and Queen Creek Roads)
San Tan Chapter January 2014
January - Katherine Spielmann Professor of Anthropology, ASU - Ethnogenesis: Making culture on Perry Mesa A.D. 1280 - 1400
February - Sarah Steele, San Tan Mountain Regional Park Manager - What's going on in the Park.
March - Cindy Shanks, retired teacher and author - Join Cindy as she tells about her time spent walking the old historic Heber/Reno Sheep trail for a year, documenting the sheep's life on the Dobson farm and the adventures of the sheep on the historic trail.
Chapter meetings are conducted the second Wednesday of each month (except June/July/Aug) at 7:30 PM at the San Tan Historical Museum. The Museum is located at 20425 S. Old Ellsworth Road, Queen Creek. (On the southeast corner of the intersection of Ellsworth Road and Queen Creek Roads) The museum is a circa 1925 brick schoolhouse. Parking is available in the rear, off of Queen Creek Road or in the front via Old Ellsworth Road.
The Chapter is preparing to conduct Certification classes in Ceramics analysis scheduled for the spring 2014. If you are interested in taking part in this class contact Marie Britton. (see above). Participants must be members of the Arizona Archaeological Society. New members are welcome.
The Arizona Stage Company, operating after 1868, is believed to have used this old Andrada homestead as a respite from the Arizona Territory heat until approximately 1916.
The early settlers described it as a simple one room building about ten foot square, constructed of rock with a mud and thatched roof. There was a trough running around three of the sides, which was used for watering the horses, a porch on the south side and a well with windmill close by to keep the trough filled. It had one four-foot door on the south side, and small gun ports instead of windows.
The site was a rest area and watering stop for the horses and mules used by freight wagons and the stage line that came from Florence via Olberg, and continued through the gap in the San Tan Mountains to Mesa, Arizona.
Even though this was a small spur stop, it holds a significant role in Queen Creek’s history and folklore, and is treasured by the community
- Stabilization and repair of the San Tan Historical Museum exterior bricks.
The three-room, U-shaped building was named after Charles Rittenhouse and was used for classes from 1925 to 1982. The school is constructed of Arizona red brick with white trimmed transommed windows. Two roll-down dividers separated the three rooms, and a small stage was equipped with an abbreviated fly loft. Over time, changes were made to accommodate the needs of the growing community.
Some of the original playground equipment is still available for viewing. Antique farm equipment rests in the school yard north of the schoolhouse, reflecting a time when the local economy was based on agriculture. There are many new displays, pictures and historical information inside the classrooms. Please visit the historic Rittenhouse School.
The San Tan Historical Museum is located at 20425 S. Old Ellsworth Road, Queen Creek, 85142. (On the southeast corner of the intersection of Ellsworth Road and Queen Creek Roads) The museum is a circa 1925 brick schoolhouse. Parking is available in the rear, off of Queen Creek Road or in the front via Old Ellsworth Road.